Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why does this happen?!

These are my critical attributes and I used a new article that I had found in the globe about a girl who was bullied at school. WHen I came across this I cried because her life and what she went through was exactly how I felt at her age and I could truly sympathize with her. I wish that I could write her a letter to tell her I know how she feels. It does get better. Anyway... the LINK is in my assignment!

1.       The critical attributes strategy is a process that allows students to be able to distinquish between what is important and what is not important in a large body of information. It allows students to make clear cut definitions and form their own opinions. The facts allow them to truly be able to gather all information.
·         The idea of students bullying and what can be done to stop it is more critical than what they are actually saying and doing when they bully her.
·         What are her grandmother’s ideas towards what would be helpful?
·         Where did the school go wrong? Or are they right?
       2B.  What did the girls call her? Why Lexi? Did Lexi ever try to fight back?
3.       I am very involved in this topic. Her story is much like mine, it is actually earily similar. I know what it feels like to have an entire cafeteria turn and stare when someone is snickering or yelling at you. I know what it feels like to walk around school and constantly feel like you are being followed. It hurts and it’s scary. I agree with her when she says that it’s easier to just believe the people.
4.       I think that hearing other peoples stories gets me fired up a lot. It makes me want to meet each and every one of these students that are bullied. I want them to know that they are not alone. I want them to help me sharing our stories to maybe be able to bust bullies. Even if we give a speech in a room to 500 little bullies. Even if just one decides to stop, then we have done something.   I feel like when you are invested or fired up in a topic your interest level peaks. TO me this is a perfect example. I feel like allowing students to talk about coping skills and steps to diffuse a bully and get help is a great discussion topic.
5.       Keeping students on the central topic of what are coping skills and steps to get help will keep it away from the debate of what is right and what is wrong about bullying. It also would keep students away from the topic  of, whether or not the school and Lexi’s grandmother handled it correctly.
6.       1.  How do you feel when you see a child being bullied?
2. What would you do if you were put in that situation, as the person being bullied or someone else who saw it?
3. What can a school do to cut down on bullying?

No comments:

Post a Comment